Monday, November 12, 2012

Vegan Crock Pot Tortilla Soup:


I know...I've been neglecting my blog a little for the past few days. I haven't been cooking all that much because I haven't been home during meal times, and I honestly haven't really felt like it. The past weekend was fun. I was able to relax a little, catch up with old friends, and make this delicious tortilla soup. (And Notre Dame won again. Woohoo). Anyways, more to tell later, and a few more recipes should be up tomorrow.

Ingredients:
1 (15oz.) can diced tomatoes + 1 can water
1 (15oz.) can corn, drained
1 (15oz.) can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup white mushrooms, sliced or diced
1/2 cup rice
1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 to 2 tbsp. hot sauce
1 to 2 tsp. yellow corn meal
1 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. salt
Dash of cayenne pepper
Dash of paprika
Dash of black pepper

Toppings
Tortilla Chips
Vegan Cheese


Instructions:
Add all of the ingredients (minus the rice, vegan cheese, and tortillas) to your crock pot, stir, and turn to high. Cook for an hour, and then stir in the rice. Cook for an additional 2 hours or so. Top with grated vegan cheese (optional) and tortilla chips.

NOTE: Feel free to add Tofutti Sour Cream or avocados as toppings as well.

Other Soup Ingredients: You can also use bell peppers, onions, or black beans in this soup. (I didn't have any bell peppers and was feeling too lazy to cut the onions).

2 comments:

  1. Shall I assume the rice is cooked when added, or raw?

    ReplyDelete
  2. can I make this without corn meal? I dont think i have any :(

    ReplyDelete

Leave some love...it's always appreciated! ♡♡♡

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...